Such a healthy and quick meal for the whole whanau. Sneak as many veggies and protein as you can in here, no one will ever know.
- 2 small Kumara
- 10 small potatoes (4 for the hot chips)
- ¼ sunflower seeds (optional)
- Knob of butter / coconut oil
- Spring onion, or if you forget just use brown onion
- smoked fish (flaked with fingers)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- ¼ flour
- Pinch of chilli
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- First, peel and wash (if you can be bothered) the kumara and potatoes, cut up into small pieces then throw them gently into boiling water. Boil till soft enough to mash.
- Drain well, then mash. Add onions, butter, oil, salt and pepper, chilli and lemon and of course the flaked fish. Mix well.
- Form a round ball that resembles what should be a fish cake. Pat some flour throw it in the pan to brown. We used both coconut oil and a bit of butter.
- Cook until perfection.
Now cut the remaining potatoes into chips, add olive oil and salt. Fan bake these for about 10-15 mins. Keep a close eye on these little buggers. They burn quickly.
WHAM!!! You have yourself some fancy fish and chips to feed the whole herd on a Sunday night.