This recipe is a definite crowd favourite.
I (Tay) was a skeptic of the idea of beans in a brownie (sacrilege I swear) but Shan has won me over with these babies. They are delicious and guilt-free!
- 1 can of black beans, well rinsed and drained
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted (or sub for other oil of choice)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar, slightly ground or pulsed in a food processor or coffee grinder for a refined texture (sometimes I just use whatever sugar I have on hand)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Optional toppings: crushed walnuts, pecans, dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips or berries. Get creative!
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Drain black beans, and wash well. Put into blender and blitttttzzzzzzzz them till they no longer look like beans (p.s they smell like farts, so don’t be put off).
- Add eggs, coconut oil ( or other oil) cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla extract. Blend well.
- I normally add a tiny bit of water just to help it blend a little. Then add in ½ cup organic cane sugar and baking powder.
- This can be healthy, but if you want to add a touch of naughty add some chocolate chunks. Pecan and sea salt is my fave!! Or add berries!
- Make sure the batter is smooth and then add to your tin! You can make them into muffins or a slice!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides. Keep an eye on it.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan. They will be tender, so it is important to wait for it to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. Refrigerate to keep longer.
- I love to share this at work. IT IS MY FAVE!